Tuesday 12 June, 2007

Cablewallahs

They call it 'ether-net' . I thought they had misspelled internet. But I was later proved wrong and that boisterous long cable (which should actually be named cabasilisk, for its killer technology) was what they called their 'latesht' technological dingy thing. I confess, i suggested the idea of shifting to Sifi (name changed to protect privacy). BSNL seemed too expensive or boisterous. Its nice to flaunt that idea of having a private internet service provider like Sifi technologies(India) Ltd. instead of an uncreative, plain and boring name like just BSNL.
Trouble always succeeds brilliance, or at least I reason it that way. After I pulled off that brilliant spoof over BSNL and finally got rid of it,I realized what an ordeal Sifi was (and still is).If the BSNL modem couldn't understand my apathy during troubled times, Sifi shows me a finger and asks me to stick it up you-know-where.
The local area connection is a particularly obtrusive creation by those genius minds who've given us the ether-net itself . The local area connections acts like a wind-meter which does a brilliant job in informing me about the speed of the wind. If the connection goes off in one go and doesn't come back until the next day, its a usual wind just blowing and doing its job. If it goes on an off now and appears to be playing ' catch-me-on-if-you-can', its a stronger wind. If the local area connection has backed out some four hours ago and your local technician accepts without a 'grrr' or something like that, screw the wind get to that Sifi office as quickly as you can.

On one such occasion, I promptly informed those cable wallahs to check up with the problem. Two exhibits arrived. I was quick in showing them the problem.I tried connecting and the technological wonder seemed to have given up on me. I told them, how I had tried to reconfigure my LAN card. Those two fools simply gaped at my wonder-la computer.
The bigger of the two exhibits finally spoke up. Your LAN card has broken down, he said.
There are moments in one's life when the person opposite speaks of the unthinkable and all one can do is break out and scream a yell. A mere yell in this case just wouldn't suffice. I wanted to smite that ass and do anything but go easy on his jaw.But something stopped me from it. I listened to him and enquired for reasons. I also reminded him that I had purchased that piece of nonsense from him and the warranty period had not yet lapsed.To my disbelief, he told me ,'people themselves don't come with warranty , how do you expect an electronic item to come with a warranty?'
I remained a mere spectator to his brilliance, unable to recover from the shock.I still am trying hard to recover from that shock. The Local Area Connection is working although gives me jitters now and then, as for that brilliant technician, his activities seem to have become more dormant or may be there are more benign customers to trouble.

No comments: